Friday, February 9, 2007

Mac is 11 years old today !!!!

Macsaroni & Cheese Strother, better know as Mac or Ronni, is 11 years old today. I am both astounded and frighten by this fact. Astounded because the time has flown as we say. Frightened because an English Setter's Life Span is about 13 years.

She is the 'best 'dog' I have ever had and I have had many. Out of my 62 years possibly 10 have been without a dog by my side and in my bed. Yes--I sleep with my dogs; I talk with my dogs; and I eat with my dogs [sharing my food not theirs]. As I see it any dog I own is simply an extension of myself. For those of you who feel otherwise I pity you. You have missed the love and companionship of the truest relationship on this earth with the possible exception of that with a small child. Either/both of these relationships are the essence, as I understand it, of unconditional love .

We got Mac Easter weekend 1996. She immediately went to a track meet with us. At the sound of the Start Gun she began to shake. Not a good sign for a dog bought to hunt birds. We owned 3 Boykins at the time. Two were gun shy---one willing to ride to the field then immediately retreating under the truck, sleeping untill the hunters returned--the other hiding in the house the minute the gun came out of the closet. The 3rd Boykins was capable only of picking up the scent of a week long dead bird. No interest in hunting her! My husband had hopes for this ''fine, fine field trail dog'.

After the track meet we left for our cabin in Arkansas, taking our 3 Boykins and Setter puppy.
It was a fun but uneventful trip or so it seemed until 6 months later. That fall Don took Mac on her 1st real hunting adventure. She loved being out--no fear of the brush--no hiding at sound of the gun--running large but well. Unfortunately no birds but what the hell this pup was working beautifully. The birds would be there next time.

Husband and puppy return home. Husband tired but happy. Puppy tired, happy, yet limping on 4 boney legs ending in feet the size of 50 cent pieces. I am not happy. Puppy and I go immediately to the vet. Vet says the last words one wishes to hear about a $350.00 great linage, good nose, beautiful working hunting pup--"This dog can't hunt !!!!!"

The uneventful cabin trip 6 months prior had been eventful after all. An Arkansas tick had infected Mac --- an infected relative got Hershey as well. Hershey, the one who slept under the truck while waiting for the return of the hunters, was never going to hunt tick or no tick, we had accepted that. Accepting Mac not being able to hunt was all together a different story. Don wanted to believe that Mac could still hunt. I knew that if Don tied to take this puppy hunting he would be the one running from gunshot. He quite soon understood my position!! There are many things I will give in on--the care of my animals is not one.

Even though Mac never materialized into the 'hunting dog' she was bred to become, she has become the most wonderful pet. She discriminates against nothing--age, color, size. We could all learn a lot from her. Her sole purpose on this earth appears to be to love everything and everybody. Greets any and all with a happy wagging tail and a stuffed toy in her mouth. It has occurred to me that her watch dog qualities are lacking.

I know she is terrified of storms and I think she is afraid of the dark. When we go downstairs at night she walks somewhat behind me--sticking her head around my legs to see if it is safe to proceed. I wonder which one of us would try to protect the other if there really were any danger?? Most likely it would be a Key Stone Cop Scenario with the two of us racing each other back up the steps. Her 4 legs give her more to run with but also more to trip over. Would be a sight to behold for sure!.

The vet promises me, as if he really can, that she will have an extra year or two since she has had an easy life and is fairly healthy. Even that is not enough to satisfy me. To imagine life without Mac leaves me with a sense of emptiness. I realize that with all the dogs in this world how fortunate I am
to have this particular dog. For this I am truly grateful. Unfortunately gratitude doesn't meet you at the door, keep you company when you are lonely, or play with you when you are happy. Each day I wonder how much longer I will have her. Each day I thank God that Macaroni is here and is mine.

No comments: